About

I am a college student in Boston. I'm studying math. I love watching and talking about films. I also try to read when I can and occasionally will post about books and maybe even some topic on math or anything really that I find important. I'm always open to suggestions so leave a comment if you feel I would like a film or even if you have something to respond to in my posts. Enjoy!
NOTE: All ratings are based on how much I enjoyed the film, not how well done it is or how many awards it has won. For example, I love Will Ferrell movies and refuse to adjust the ratings because they aren't Academy Award quality.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Girls

http://www.showbiz411.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hbo-girls-.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, this show is amazing! I love it! 

So I don't really know where to go with this post...

So I'll start off by saying Lena Dunham really captured something special in the show. I think she found the voice that can speak for the generation of recent college grads. I think what makes the show so special is that it makes you hate these people. They are terrible and self absorbed and just really bad people, but you have to love them because you know that those people are real, and that they might be you. They are the embodiment of their age group and demographic. They didn't grow up rich but they never struggled. They all had an easy life and they all are pretty intelligent. Now that they are on their own though, they don't want school to end. They don't want jobs, they don't want to struggle. They still expect things to be handed to them. They're so lazy and over dramatic. Everything is the end of the world and I feel that it shows very well what life is like. 

I think Hannah is the most real character and I also love that Lena Dunham makes her character the worst of them all. Every week I just want to jump into the tv and shake her and tell her to get hr shit together. She complains all the time. She's so lazy. She makes everything a huge deal and she keeps gravitating to the wrong people. She keeps idolizing Jessa who is the world's worst role model. She keeps going to Adam, which I like because they work really well together, who has enough problems to fill his own show. She can't jsut sit and write her fucking book which is the absolute worst. And she drove Marnie away and refuses to mend their relationship. 

I love Marnie! First off, she's gorgeous and Brian Williams' daughter (love him too). Also I think that she captures a totally different persona. She is too uptight and too busy planning to live. At first she was so bad to Charlie who was perfect. Then they break up and he, very understandably, just wants to move on, even though he can't. So Charlie goes on and Marnie is pissed. She resents him for it. She can't stand him being happy while she is miserable. She tries to be more relaxed. She tries to go with the flow and not stress which is even worse for her. I understand where she's coming from but it's still frustrating seeing her be her. 

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/girls-prem/hbo-girls-premiere-10.JPG


My favorite character is Ray. I think his age gives a good perspective and a brilliant contrast to the others, especially Shoshanna who is so young and optimistic. Ray is kind of dark and super intellectual. I think he isn't so much a voice of reason but more a philosophical presence on the show. I really like his realism. It seems, in contrast, to be pessimistic but I see it more as him being a warning. He knows shit happens and life sometimes sucks. I think he really wants them to avoid becoming like him. It's too late for him to save himself but he can at least help the others. 

Well here's to 1000 more seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment