About

I am a college student in Boston. I'm studying math. I love watching and talking about films. I also try to read when I can and occasionally will post about books and maybe even some topic on math or anything really that I find important. I'm always open to suggestions so leave a comment if you feel I would like a film or even if you have something to respond to in my posts. Enjoy!
NOTE: All ratings are based on how much I enjoyed the film, not how well done it is or how many awards it has won. For example, I love Will Ferrell movies and refuse to adjust the ratings because they aren't Academy Award quality.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Return with The World's End


Ironically enough, I'm choosing to write about The World's End for my first post in a long time. I went to see this movie in theaters twice! I liked it so much. 

Comedic duo Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg return with this sci-fi comedy that offers more then just entertainment. The trailer reveals a secret that is well disguised as an unpleasant feeling of the familiar in the film before the reveal. The genius of Pegg and Wright is their ability to blend together sci-fi action, humor and real emotion in a way that doesn't feel manufactured. 

The film opens with a flashback to an infamous night that Gary (Pegg) can never forget. The group of 5 friends attempt their hometown's "Golden Mile" pub crawl which consists of 12 stops. Pegg's character, a childish nobody desperately clinging to his youthful glory days calls that night the best of his life. When he deceives the group, 20 years later, into heading home to retry the Golden Mile, they reluctantly agree. Once back in their home town, they quickly become lost in the unsettling tweak on the familiar places of their past. The film climbs to an epic conclusion at the World's End pub.

One of the great parts about this film is the foreshadowing and the presentation of the obvious. For starters, each of the 12 pubs' names is an indication of what happens there. The flashback from the begging of the film also has a subplot similar to the film's plot. Throughout the film's dialogue more clues are given to what will happen later on. 

Pegg and Wright also seem to create genuine emotion out of the hilarious and action packed scenes. Pegg's character is singularly focused on reliving the glory days and making it to the World's End at all costs. Throughout the film his juvenile behavior and selfishness seem to have no limit. While it is hard to watch him struggle with the realization of where his decisions have left him in life, his behavior is rewarded at the end when it becomes his saving grace and also offers a somewhat frighteningly real view of the human race. 

The film was hilarious and also had something to say. The story it told seemed real despite its absurdity. And despite the title and plot of the movie, the ending is actually quite surprising.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment