About

I am a college student in Boston. I'm studying math. I love watching and talking about films. I also try to read when I can and occasionally will post about books and maybe even some topic on math or anything really that I find important. I'm always open to suggestions so leave a comment if you feel I would like a film or even if you have something to respond to in my posts. Enjoy!
NOTE: All ratings are based on how much I enjoyed the film, not how well done it is or how many awards it has won. For example, I love Will Ferrell movies and refuse to adjust the ratings because they aren't Academy Award quality.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reservoir Dogs

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/banner_reservoir.jpg
So I haven't seen "Reservoir Dogs" in a while, but I found a poster of Mr. Pink and Mr. White at gunpoint and it made me re-watch the film. WOW! I had forgot how much I loved it! It's my favorite Tarentino (granted I haven't seen them all). 

This movie does something that I think is rarely attempted and very difficult to do: it relies entirely on story telling. The premise of a heist movie that doesn't show the heist might seem boring, but "Reservoir Dogs" is anything but. It's violent, it's dramatic and it's exciting.

Almost right off the bat, the second scene, you see Mr. White and Mr. Orange fleeing with Orange bleeding and screaming about death. The film throws you right into the action that ensues following a botched robbery. first time viewers are left to rely on the dialogue than the images to piece together the details of the robbery that lead to the chaos seen. 

The flashbacks provide entertaining stories that give you the background of the characters and the conditions under which they came to be part of the job. The backgrounds involve their boss, Joe, and his son, Nice Guy Eddie. Through the flashbacks you see the relationships developed between the characters which are important to understanding the rest of the film, especially White and Orange and Pink. 

The violence of this film really sets the bar for Tarentino's future career. His over-the-top, almost exaggerated use of blood and violence is something that is to be appreciated, not disgusted. The evil Mr. Blonde and his torture scene is one that pushes the limits of what I can watch to the limit without crossing over. It's beautiful and disturbing while at the same time remaining absolutely necessary to the film. 

Tarentino's first film isn't super popular and a lot of people just don't like it as it doesn't have the constant action of his other but rather relies more heavily on dialogue. I think that this makes it a special film. It's different, but still fits with his other big name films. To me, this movie is his best and set the bar for the rest to follow. 4 out of 4 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Go see it! Watch it again! Make a friend watch! You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment